Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Flashbacks...Along Memory Lane?

1986 is the farthest back I can remember. We were living in Cagayan de Oro and my sis, Miracle was just a few months old. Villa Ernesto, Phase 2...or was it Phase 1? Sa naay Sanyo?

My earliest mem'ries are of the daily morning and late-afternoon trips to the beach (we were only two blocks away), making sand castles, hunting for hermit crabs ('umang') to play with along the crags and seaweed -- it drove my grandparents crazy to find hermit crabs crawling all over the house and they spent many sleepless nights wondering if the intermittent clicking that the claws of the 'umang' made on the marble floors were the sounds of a burglar trying to get in.

Then there were the bike trips we took around the neighborhood (my mom driving, Mira slung on a carrier, and me 'back-riding') while waiting for my dad to come home from sharing the Word at schools and colleges, the games with our neighbors Kit and Dino, Jay and Lani (I haven't seen them for around 17-18 years now), and there was my grandparent's dog, Enoch, who loved to bark at anything and anyone -- playfully, I might add, but to a three or four-year-0ld a bark coming from a dog twice your size is like a promise to eat you on the spot (a car ran over him while he was trying to negotiate the treacherous highway crossing to Phase 1 where many other dogs had already met their doom -- this news was met with some relief on my part). Of course, there were lighter moments with the dog when we were with 'Nang Anging and 'Nang Julie ('Big Eyes', we called her) -- when we were riding piggy-back, getting chased around by the dog actually became fun.

Those were the days of innocence, the days of obliviousness to the world around us. It was that golden age where a child is still unaware of the prejudice, the hate, the discrimination all around and everything that matters are the games, the laughter and the fun, the contentment of being with family, the sense of security when riding on the shoulders of your dad and feeling like you can conquer the world.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home